Saturday, August 28, 2010

Beatles top 100

Herrow

I heard the other day that Rolling Stone is publishing The Beatles top 100, the top ten of which you can find here and at the very end of this post. (I do love the lists they compile over there, some excellent listening!). This got me thinking about which Beatles song is my favourite. In my mid-teens I pretty much only listened to sixties music, as the eighties didn't really inspire me musically. As such I often found the Beatles high on my rotation list...along with the Byrds, the Easybeats, and the Stones (a bit of a Brit-Pop thing happening there, which was echoed again once we were into the nineties).

Anyway here is my favourite Beatles song and  accompanying lyrics.



Norwegian Wood
I once had a girl
Or should I say, she once had me
She showed me her room
Isn't it good Norwegian wood?

She asked my to stay and told me sit anywhere
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair

I sat on a rug, biding my time
Drinking her wine
We talked until two, and then she said:
"It's time for bed,"

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn't, and crawled off to sleep in the bath

And when I awoke, I was alone
This bird has flown
So I lit a fire
Isn't it good Norwegian wood?

LOL, I just read the wiki article on the meaning behind the lyrics. 
Norwegian wood = Cheap pine, which was the craze to deck your house out in when the song was written (*shudder* I still have nightmares dealing with how to cover up cheap pine anything). Apparently a girl had led John on and made him sleep in the bath instead of putting out, and as payback in the song at least they thought the appropriate retaliation ought to be burning down her house. I must say that if I heard a fella talking about burning down a house just because a girl wouldn't have sex with him, I'd think he was an arrogant pig, and good on the girl for saying no in the first place...but I suppose it ought to be apparent that the generational gap is an issue just by me having been born nine years after this was recorded.

Perhaps I ought to save my generational rant for another post? lol, I'm old enough now to be driven insane by the younger generation...something which I never thought would happen to me. lol I guess it happens to most people eventually.

Back on track now, here is the Rolling Stone Magazine's top ten Beatles songs.
10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
9. Come Together.
8.  Let it Be.
7. Hey Jude.
6.  Something.
5. In My Life.
4.  Yesterday.
3.  Strawberry Fields Forever.
2.  I Wanna Hold Your Hand.
1.  A Day in the Life.

And just because I like the number one on the list, here is the song and lyrics.



A Day in the Life
I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grave
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.

I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book
I'd love to turn you on

Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in second splat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
and Somebody spoke and I went into a dream

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on

 
I hope you've enjoyed the sojourn into Beatles land.
See you on the flip side!
Kate 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment