Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Shutter Island.

Hi ho,

Zak suggested that I watch shutter island, as it would be a movie that I would enjoy. :) He wasn't wrong. I was pulled right into the story (even if the acting was a little distracting at times).

This summary is from the IMDB website, which is where I look up all info on movies or TV programs. Shutter Island summary can be found here, as well as below.

  • It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister. Teddy's shrewd investigating skills soon provide a promising lead, but the hospital refuses him access to records he suspects would break the case wide open. As a hurricane cuts off communication with the mainland, more dangerous criminals "escape" in the confusion, and the puzzling, improbable clues multiply, Teddy begins to doubt everything - his memory, his partner, even his own sanity.

The best bit however is the twist at the end, which I hope to not spoil for you.

Anyway, being a hospital for the criminally insane post WWII it's hardly an unusual propostition that you would see someone who is Manic-Depressive (BiPolar)...which of course you do. It got me wondering if Zak equated me with the Manic-Depressive in the movie, or if he hadn't connected the dots between A and B. Most likely he hasn't noticed the link. Which is quite sweet in a way...makes me feel that little bit more normal. LOL, on the other hand if he did link A and B, then I ought to feel quite insulted!

The BiPolar person isn't exhibiting symptoms aside from her psychotic break makes me wonder if Hollywood even bothers to research the illnesses they are trying to portray. It is however, quite obvious they seized upon the two illnesses that are well known to the public to help authenticate the Insane Asylum image. I suppose that I should be thankful I'm not Schizophrenic, as they were tared with the "I'm covered in my own filth" brush. So much for social media trying to educate the masses about mental illness.

So, back to me (lol, anyone would think it's all I ever talk about). Hmmm, I wonder if I could behave as calmly as the bipolar person did in the movie when they killed their family...I honestly doubt it. After having listened to the accounts of friends who have also dealt with BiPolar psychotic breaks, I doubt that any of them could say the same either. Usually there are lots of tears, shouting, rocking back and forth, clinging to loved ones begging them to stop the insanity...hardly any of which was evident in the movie version of a BiPolar break. Although I suppose since this scene was such a tiny part within the whole of the movie, I could cut them a little slack.

I suppose that if taken solely as a movie thriller, and not an accurate portrayal of mental illness (which is the position I ought to take) this movie captures exactly what Hollywood intended it to.  After all would people really want to go to the movies to see real life? 

Here's to the escapisim of movies, the knowledge that the good guys always win, Santa always arrives before the sun comes up, the funny guy gets the girl, kisses are accompanied by fireworks, and that everything is wrapped up in just over two hours.

Happy viewing!

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment