Thursday, March 18, 2010

An Irish Blessing...and only one day late.

I know that yesterday was St. Patrick's day, but I didn't really feel the need to say anything about it until I saw a partial poem on facebook.

It was of this traditional blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

Oh and while I'm at it I'll include this nice little poem about death:

Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow, I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain, I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush, I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight, I am the star shine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom, I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing, I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there. I do not die.

I have a feeling the last one was read out at Nonna's funeral...but I can't honestly recall because I was so lost in missing her.

Either way, neither have anything much to do with St. Patrick, and not being Irish Catholic, all I can say about him is that I think his legend goes along the line; When he brought Christianity to Ireland, he also drove out all the snakes ridding the isle of those devilish beasties. Which I'm sure you'll agree is a long way from the beer swilling day of green faces that we associate him with today.

If you were drinking yesterday I hope you enjoyed your pints, and are not feeling green this morning.

Hooroo, Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment